About Animal Aid Print

The Victorian Animal Aid Trust (Animal Aid) is an Animal Welfare organisation dedicated to the care of all lost, unwanted and abused animals, and is bound by the Code of Practice for Animal Shelters.

The operations of Animal Aid are administered by a board of voluntary Trustees, supported by paid professional staff and assisted by an enthusiastic group of volunteers.

The founders of Animal Aid, Alexander & Stella Grierson, started their public animal welfare work in 1938, but it was not until the end of the war that they became the Croydon Animal Aid.  In 1948 the organisation was registered as a not-for-profit charity under the Companies Act (now the Corporations Act 2001) and became The Victorian Animal Aid Trust.  A small veterinary clinic was established in Croydon and in 1950; 27 acres of land were purchased on the corner of Colchester and Canterbury Roads in Kilsyth (38kms east of Melbourne) with the intention of building a hospital, Veterinary Clinic and Welfare facility.  Unfortunately, the area was re-zoned light industrial and so in 1956 the Trust purchased a 17-acre farmlet at 62-80 Colchester Road, Kilsyth.   

In 1999, after 50 years of providing vital animal welfare facilities in Kilsyth, the ever-growing encroachment of residential development created insurmountable limitations to the Animal Aid's ability to continue its work at that location, effectively forcing us out of Kilsyth.

Following the decision to relocate the shelter; the Kilsyth site was sold and the Coldstream Boarding Kennels and Cattery; at 35 Killara Road; were purchased. For the welfare work to continue, new facilities were built incorporating a welfare cattery, fully equipped veterinary clinic and office; some of the existing kennels were adapted to provide housing for the welfare dogs.

Animal Aid took possession of the Coldstream Boarding Facility and Animal Welfare Centre in April 2000.

Not with standing the circumstances that led us here, it has been one of our most rewarding opportunities.  We are able to help more animals, and have a greater impact on animal welfare issues and community attitudes toward pet ownership. In late 2005 Animal Aid successfully tendered to operate the East Gippsland Council pound. That facility holds stray animals for the council and community as well as taking in owner surrendered animals. Dogs are temperament tested and veterinary checked (including vaccinations and desexing) prior to being re-homed. Cats are also assessed for suitability and veterinary checked (including vaccinations and desexing)  prior to being re-homed.

East Gippsland Animal Aid relies heavily on volunteer involvement and have future plans for a purpose built animal shelter. We are very grateful for the support received from the community and the Shire Council.